Saturday, April 3, 2010

40 miler completed!

So this morning MB & I went on an adventure to get a lock for my bike while on the hitch rack (so I can run after riding) -> totally pumped to try it out!

The ride was going well - cruising through 15 and decided to aim for 20. 20 would not be accomplished in the 64 min I had planned (64 out, 64 back), but I stretched it by 7-8 minutes and made it! I took a few minute break and Tim (new friend) rode by. He stopped when I was just trying to say good job - and said he would ride back part of it with me (he lives off of the 13 mi marker).

The ride back was very even-keel, very low pace through mile 13 but it was great to hold a conversation, learn tricks of the trade, hear that his son teaches bike 101 classes at Atlanta Cycling in Vinings (small world), etc. So at mile 13, he went off the trail to head home and I realized that is was already 1:47:--. That is NOT cool... 13.3 miles left and 43 minutes left towards the goal of at least finishing in 2:30:--. SOO - I BUSTED A MOVE :-)

When I got to the 0.9 mile marker I was shocked to see that it was 2:27:-- Sweet!! Calculating that out....I averaged at least 18 mph for those 12 miles around the multiple intersections, silly 2x2 walkers on both sides, unpassable periods of time, etc. SO pumped! I finished the last mile -> sub 2:30:-- AWESOME!

Getting off the bike on such a high was great! Getting ready for a 7mi run after -> not so exciting :-p lol After tying up the bike w/ the new lock, I felt like I had to at least attempt the run! There is no 3.5 mile marker -> had to continue to the 3.7 one. No biggie until you hit the last part of the run (UGH).

GOODNIGHT does it feel so much SLOWER when you are running after riding. I felt like I would never reach the next mile marker sign - thinking "OMG this is going to take FOREVER!!!" I ran the first 57 minutes (almost 6 miles) and DIED. I literally walked the at least 1.4 miles back to the parking lot, finishing in 77 minutes. Oh well - it's a start to doing HARD brick workouts! (triathlon term: bike -> run w/o break)

Hope everyone got outside to enjoy the WONDERFUL weather!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment