Friday, August 13, 2010

First "Battle" with the Bike

Sitting in O'Hare waiting for the 3rd flight in 24 hrs - what else to do but update my blog? (retorical quesiton - answer is nothing)

This past Saturday I went for a run - made it 12.5 miles versus the 15 miles scheduled. I was attempting to fit it all in before a friend's bday celebration. I was ready only 5 minutes late...and realized I forgot to RSVP on the evite! LAME - and I didn't feel like calling to make people wait on me w/o warning. LAME again.

Anyhoo, the 12 miles weren't that bad. Completed it within a decent pace but felt like a bum for not going the entire 15 <- never letting up on myself.

Sunday (08/08) was the cycling day. The goal was 20-25 miles. I made it 1.2 miles and decided to try the new cycling computer. It STUNK and did not seem ot be working - it displayed the same way for running so I can easily assume it is just tracking it via GPS and not the cycling computer the salesman sold for for an additional $75 or something. 11 miles out I decided to turn around to ensure I finished close to when MB was going to - the stupid computer was stinking and not motivating me to go further b/c it was stuck on one screen vs cycling through the statistic screens. Okay - so back to the drama!!

I was going down the hill at 2.4 miles...and crossing the bridge. I always slow down to a creep there b/c stupid tater tots and walkers never stay on the proper side of the path. Of course I am attempting to build confidence and go a little bit faster creeping around the S curve... survive going onto the bridge...don't break while going across the bridge (R-E-B-E-L - w/o a cause) and get overwhelmed by the feeling of going too horizontal AAAANNNNDDDD I overcorrected.

I crossed over the trial to the left side, busted by tire (prob coming back up onto the trail...silly road tires), the pedals got away from my tennis shoed feet and SMACKED me in the back of my right calf multiple times. I finally un-freak out and break HARD to a stop back on the right side of the trail.

Results: bloodly calf, busted back tire, 2+ miles away from the parking lot. joy.
I walk back - well, jog when I mentally get BORED and stop when my leg won't let me ignore it anymore

Sunday afternoon - MB plays my hero and washes my calf out w/ Hydrogen Peroxide, Rubbing Alcohol and then gozes it up. The compression tape definitely helped with the swelling - and stayed on until Thursday evening.

ATL airport Monday ROCKED
-TSA security guy stopped me after security to ensure no one had harmed me in line (HAHA)
-large golf cart driver noticed my limb and drove me the three gates in T concourse (sweeet)
-Delta gate attendant didn't find me a bulk head seat (so I could elevate the leg during the 5 hrs) in coach...but gave me one in 1st class (DARN)

This week - I told myself I'd do something w/ abs and back since I couldn't walk really well BUT did nothing. :-) My goal is to now do nothing that jeopardizes the healig process (still have the puncher wound that has not scabbed over) and run only at 3/4 the schedule distance for one week, 90% the week after then 100% distance at 80% speed the 3rd week :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment