Wednesday, March 24, 2010

First Solo Ride & Shared Lane Swim!!

Tuesday was B-E-A-U-tiful - I adventured to take my first solo bike ride on Silver Comet Trail. It was not too crowded (like Saturday) but at least 3 riders or walkers were seen between each distance sign. I rode to the 8.1 mile sign and back.

Lessons learned:
- the first 4 miles have TONS of crosswalk (aka takes a while for the light to change)
- the hardest part is getting back on the bike and cross the road!
- the middle post on the opposite side of the crosswalk is my enemy!! (I almost hit it EVERY TIME)

After that adventure - I realized I could not leave my bike on the back of the car and run...for fear my bike wouldn't be there when I got back!! Ugh - did not follow the plan! :-p

Once 5pm rolled around (when I can park on campus) - I went to the crc at 6pm. The pool lanes were full (after I changed and everything) so I ran first. The 3 x 1 mile at 5K pace would've been fine if I wasn't ambitious and say that a 7:30 min/mi is my 5K pace (that's my goal pace for 2010 lol). Needless to say, I did not survive at that pace and brought it back down to 8 min/mi and barely survived after breaking it down to two 1/2 mile segments for the 3rd mile. Whoops!

I completed leg, arm, lower back and abs and headed to the big adventure: swimming!!! There was finally a lane available around 8pm. The workout (4x100, 4x50, 4x25) was okay. I got through freestyle for the entire workout minus breaststroke for the last 25 of each 100m. :-) About halfway through, a girl asked to join in my lane (b/c it was still crowded). I couldn't be rude so I didn't object. She turned out to be a triathlete who had completed an Ironman and multiple 1/2 ironmans.....CRAZY!! She of course was a swimmer and built up the running segment, but ANYHOO - she was very understanding of my warnings of being a bad swimmer :-p

Morale of the story - I did not die from sharing a lane :-) Might be more consistent is swim workouts now that I know this!!

Goal for Wednesday:
- 70 min bike ride again...repeat Tuesday's distance: at least 16.2 miles
- 5 mile run
- 4x100, 4x50, 4x25 swim (work on reducing the rest inb/w)

1 comment: